IBM Watson and Unity
After watching the Sprint Planning Meeting video and then reading through the Task Board article, I logged onto my Trello board, looked at through my ‘Explore Ideas’ and identified my next sprint goal – Speech and IBM Watson Unity SDK. The goal is exploring the idea of how player and AI character speech can create a stronger sense of immersion within a VR space.
MI started with a user story centered on a person wants to interact within VR using speech, similar to Alexa or Google Assistant but a bit more robust . User W: “I want to talk with the characters I meet in the virtual world.”
The first step is to setup a Unity scene and get IBM Watson to recognize speech to text and display the text to UI text field. The ultimate goal is triggering in-game logic with a virtual character that could respond to users’ verbal actions. This could lead to a language learning environment where students could learn a vocabulary simply by interacting with an AI character.
Having moved the Trello card to the started board, I set up a free IBM Cloud account to access Watson. I have planned to spend 8 hours within a one week period, on the initial setup. Speech recognition is one of the core features of the app and will give me basic structure to build on. The success of the sprint hinges on communicating with the speech to text server, and it able recognize verbal input through Unity.
I will know I have achieved my sprint goal when the Watson servers are able to transcribe the speech as text and display the output in text field within Unity. The goal is realistic because of the small steps approach I have used in the past. I set have planned to spend 2 two hour blocks during the week and a four hour block of time on the weekend. I will update my Trello board and I am using Unity Collaborate as my version tracking system. Keeping to my time schedule, updating my Trello board and staying focused on simply communicating with Watson, will allow me to successfully complete my sprint goal.
I was able to achieve my sprint goal within the time frame I set because just focused on one basic part of having AI assistant answer questions. I have posted a video below of the finished sprint. Now, that I have the Speech-To-Text that displays in a UI text field, I will start on the next step of getting the Text-To-Speech able to output the Speech-To-Text stream. Below is the working Speech-To-Text module in Unity.